Sunday, May 23, 2010

Perfect day on Nokonoshima

I know I should post my farming-adventure pictures, but I would like to keep this blog somewhat chronological, so I will update with a series of catch-up posts starting from several months back (beginning of April, I think).

I went to Nokonoshima, the island in the middle of Hakata Bay, when a foreign student came to visit and it was my responsibility to show him around the city. I had never been to Nokonoshima, so it was nice to have an excuse to go (during work hours especially, haha). The island is especially famous for "Island Park," a Wonderland of landscaped gardens and seasonal flower displays. We happened to have a gorgeous day when we went! The whole place felt very Dr. Suess-esque, in many ways.View of Fukuoka City from Nokonoshima. The ferry only takes ten minutes! From left to right: Yahoo! Dome, Sea Hawks Hotel, Fukuoka Tower... and then way to the right is one of the biggest ferris wheels in all of Asia that is being disassembled and shipped to Taiwan :(
Funky little cafe right near the ferry landing on Nokonoshima.
Take no ko, also known as bamboo shoots, which look terrifying but are secretly delicious.
View from the entrance to Island Park. See why I used the Wonderland/Dr. Suess analogy?
So much color! It was actually really chilly that day, hard to believe so many flowers were already in bloom.
Weird knobbly trees. Awesome!
Beautifully planted flower beds. I have zero interest in planting flowers, but I like to admire the hard work of others.
Another weird, otherworldly scene.
The PINKEST, most densely grown azaleas I've ever seen in my entire life. Barbie approves!
Six Jizo figures. Jizo is the bodhisattva I studied for my senior thesis. (LINK)
This stunning flower field overlooks Umi no Naka Michi ("The Road in the Middle of the Sea"), the thin strip of land that connects Shikanoshima (once an island) to the rest of Kyushu. This is a field of rape blossoms, called na no hana in Japanese. They are such a cheerful bright yellow and have a lovely fragrance. I was grateful to not have pollen allergies, because otherwise I probably would have died. We were COVERED in yellow pollen after walking around/through this field.
Late-blooming cherry trees and na no hana. I really like this shot.
You can eat the dark leafy green bottom part of this plant. It tastes like spinach and is super healthy and delicious, of course. I like it in udon!
One can never have too many pictures including cherry trees in Japan.
A really beautiful trip! I will try to go back for the sunflowers in the summer and the late-blooming cosmos light-up in October/November!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © 博多美人
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com